A Prayer for New York City


"When the poor and needy search for water and there is none,
and their tongues are parched from thirst,
then I, the Lord, will answer them.
I, the God of Israel, will never abandon them." -Isaiah 41:17, NLT

"Feed the hungry,
and help those in trouble.
Then your light will shine out from the darkness,
and the darkness around you will be as bright as noon." -Isaiah 58:10

New York has always been there, a sort of inevitable but never realized dream. Then, unexpectedly, it came crashing into my life this year when my stepmom and youngest sister moved there for my sister to attend a program in the city.

Any opportunity I had, I was there. I evacuated to New York in September for a hurricane that never came, was back again for a day in October, and again for Thanksgiving. Something switched on the third trip, New York started feeling comfortable, New York started feeling like home. 

Maybe it was the constant prompting of my city-dwelling friends, or the way New York City seems to be in every movie I love, but it started tugging at my heart strings. Finally, I made the decision: I was going to move there for the summer and realize my New York dream. One month of living in an incredible city, visiting with old friends, enjoying life together for a brief season in a remarkable place.

Watching from a distance as COVID-19 attacks New York has been heartbreaking. Not for the loss of being able to live there, but watching a city I have come to love suffer. I am thankful that my family and many of my friends are safely in their apartments, obeying the strict orders to stay inside. Not everyone is as fortunate.

I wish I had the ability to do anything practically helpful for the New Yorkers that are suffering, but I am powerless. In my weakness, I have been crying out to God.

As I am writing, the most recent figures New York Times has published:
New York State has more than 83,889 confirmed cases of coronavirus.
Over 12,226 hospitalized from the virus.
1,941 deaths.

A friend in the medical field in the city has been giving sobering updates. Doctors falling ill, unable to get tested, must keep working. Inadequate supplies. Not enough staff. Not enough beds. Rooms. Anything. There is more to come.

It is hard to express the utter powerlessness I feel to help in this moment. I have no money, no medical skill, nothing I can offer of worldly use. A city I love, filled with people I love, is suffering. My going there will do nothing but make one more vulnerable person who could burden an already overwhelmed system. I am so small and helpless compared to the spread of disease in the city.

You may feel the same. We may be powerless, but God is not. We can take our powerlessness and bring it to Him who upholds all things by the power of his word. Knowing this, I have been praying and I wanted to call upon my friends to pray with me for the city of New York.

If you will, please pray with me:

Father,

We ask your mercy upon the city of New York. We pray that you would bring an end to the suffering that is being experienced there from the coronavirus. We pray you would show your grace and mercy by bringing healing to the people.

God, we pray for those who have fallen ill. We pray that you would bring healing to their bodies. Give them strength. Draw near to them in their pain, their isolation, their suffering. I pray in the dark places you would shine your light. For those that don't walk with you, I pray they would seek you in this time and be comforted in your love.

God, we pray for the doctors, nurses, medical staff. We pray you would be merciful to them. Keep them safe. Jesus, I cannot help but think of how you laid down your life for us, and how doctors and nurses are laying down their lives to care for strangers. I pray you would keep them safe. I pray you would provide for their needs: medical equipment, ventilators, protective gear, rest. I pray you would give them hope in these bleak times. Catch every tear that falls from their eyes as they witness great suffering. Draw near to them, by your Spirit.

Father we ask for the families of those who are sick, that they would be comforted. We pray that you would drive them to their knees in prayer, that they would cry out to you in this time and they would hear from you. I pray this would be a time of revival in New York, that people would come to know you. I pray that believers not be quiet, but that your people would be the first to serve, to love, to speak of your tender loving care for your children.

We lift up the churches of New York City to you Lord. May they be leaders, lovers, servants of the people of New York. I pray that you would give them opportunities to meet the needs of those around them for the glory of your name! Bless them with understanding of how to shepherd their flock in these times. May they not be fearful, but be wise and discerning. I pray the church in New York would not fear death, the defeated foe, but would live in confidence in your completed work on their behalf.

Father, we lift up the poor of the city. We pray that you would provide for all of their needs. We pray that you would provide finances that allow them to stay home and out of harms way. We pray that you would cast out fear. God, we see the inequality of the city on display in the spread of this disease, we pray that you would bring justice for the poor.

Father, we lift up those in the city who are struggling in the isolation, the depressed, the suicidal, the mentally unwell, the sick. We pray that you would sustain their lives in this time. We pray that you would touch them with love that sustains, peace that endures, and hope that never gives up. Jesus you are our confident hope.

We pray for Mayor de Blasio and Governor Cuomo and all the elected officials serving in New York. You have put them into their positions for this time, in your perfect wisdom. We pray that you would give them wisdom in how to lead the efforts against the spread of coronavirus. We pray that you would humble them, lead them. Give them discernment to lead those around them. Help them to be people of justice, wisdom, discernment, righteousness, people of good character.

We lift up our President to you, and his staff. We pray that you would humble him and give him wisdom to do what is best for your glory. Give him ears that will hear faithful counsel of those around him.

In this time Lord, we see our weakness. We see how something so small, imperceptible can cripple us. We are but dust.  Oh Lord, hear our cry. Come to our aid. God, we pray during this time you would cleanse New York of the sin that so easily entangles: sins of pride, greed, self-sufficiency, anger, lavishness, disdain for our fellow man. You know and see it all. We pray that in this time, you would purify. We ask that would allow the people of New York to search their hearts and to know they cannot stand before you by their own merit.

Father, we pray that you would show them your Son. Jesus, we pray that you would be glorified in New York. We pray that in this time people would turn to you and be saved. There is no condemnation in you, Jesus. We pray that you would send your Spirit to dwell richly among your people in the midst of trial. Be our comfort and our hope, He is the guarantee of our inheritance in you! You are redeeming us now, and have promised you will complete your perfect work in glorification. Oh God! We long for that day when sin and death is no more! Come quickly Lord Jesus! Abide with us in this time!

We pray Lord for a redeemed New York. The virtues of New Yorkers: resilience, dedication, vision, passion, hope. We long to see those gifts used for your Kingdom. We pray that your Kingdom would come and that your will would be done in New York and to the ends of the Earth. Thank you Lord that you hear us.

For your glory and in your name we pray Jesus, amen.



"But now, O Jacob, listen to the Lord who created you.
O Israel, the one who formed you says,
“Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you.
I have called you by name; you are mine.
When you go through deep waters,
I will be with you.
When you go through rivers of difficulty,
you will not drown.
When you walk through the fire of oppression,
you will not be burned up;
the flames will not consume you.
For I am the Lord, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior." -Isaiah 43:1-3

"Seek the Lord while you can find him.
Call on him now while he is near.
Let the wicked change their ways
and banish the very thought of doing wrong.
Let them turn to the Lord that he may have mercy on them.
Yes, turn to our God, for he will forgive generously." - Isaiah 55:6-7

"Good people pass away;
the godly often die before their time.
But no one seems to care or wonder why.
No one seems to understand
that God is protecting them from the evil to come.
For those who follow godly paths

will rest in peace when they die." - Isaiah 57:1-2

Comments

Post a Comment